Gender-neutral housing affords our program participants, based on availability, the option to live and roommate link with whomever they choose, regardless of their gender. Please note, only participants who choose to live in gender-neutral apartments will be assigned to these apartments.
What is gender-neutral housing?
- Gender-neutral housing refers to a housing option in which program participants are given the opportunity to share their apartment with other participants, regardless of their gender.
- Participants who select this option would still be given the opportunity to link with a roommate, if available, as well as select housing preferences.
- Gender-neutral housing is based on availability.
Yes, I am interested. How do I select gender-neutral housing?
- Any participant may request gender-neutral housing during DORMS registration.
How are the rooms assigned in a gender-neutral apartment?
- At The Commons, Patterson Court, Vista Way and Chatham Square, you are assigned an apartment but not a specific bedroom. Participants residing in the unit can determine bed/bedroom placement.
- At Flamingo Crossings Village, your apartment and bedroom will be assigned for you. If you have selected a roommate link, you will be assigned a room together.
Is gender-neutral housing only for students who are members of the LGBTQ community?
- No. Gender-neutral housing is for anyone who wants to live with people with whom they feel comfortable, no matter their gender.
- Participants who elect this option must be open to living with a person of any gender.
Can students be randomly assigned to a room of the opposite gender?
- Participants will not automatically be placed in a gender-neutral apartments unless they indicated that they would be comfortable residing in gender-neutral housing.
- If there is a vacancy in the apartment, it will only be filled by a participant who has selected gender-neutral housing.
What if a participant no longer wants to live in gender-neutral housing?
- Participants no longer wishing to live in gender-neutral housing can participate in a voluntary move process through the Support site. A fee will be associated with the request.