Gender-neutral housing provides our program participants, based on availability, the option to live and roommate link with whomever they choose, regardless of their gender. Please note, only participants who choose to live in gender-neutral apartments will be assigned to these apartments.
What is gender-neutral housing?
- Gender-neutral housing refers to a housing option in which program participants are given the opportunity to share their apartment with other participants, regardless of their gender.
- Participants who select this option would still be given the opportunity to link with a roommate, if available, as well as select apartment preferences.
- Gender-neutral housing is based on availability.
Yes, I am interested. How do I select gender-neutral housing?
- Any participant may request gender-neutral housing during DORMS registration.
- Please note that gender-neutral housing is available in all styles of apartments.
How are the rooms assigned in a gender-neutral apartment?
- Your apartment and bedroom will be assigned for you. If offered, if you have selected a roommate link, you will be assigned a room together.
Is gender-neutral housing only for participants who are members of the LGBTQ+ community?
- No. Gender-neutral housing is for anyone who wants to live with people with whom they feel comfortable, no matter their gender.
- Participants who elect this option must be open to living with a person of any gender.
Can students be randomly assigned to a room of the opposite gender?
- Participants will not automatically be placed in a gender-neutral apartments unless they indicated that they would be comfortable residing in gender-neutral housing.
- If there is a vacancy in the apartment, it will only be filled by a participant who has selected gender-neutral housing.