I need to return to school before my program end date. Can I leave early?
You are eligible for a school-related early release if your new departure date is no more than three weeks prior to your original departure date, and you fall within at least one of the categories outlined below:
- You are a school-sponsored resident assistant, student counselor, student mentor, orientation leader, peer adviser, teacher assistant, or work- study program participant required to attend mandatory sessions prior to your program end date.
- You are a school-sponsored athletic or performance program participant (including cheerleading team, flag and dance squad, band or orchestra) required to attend mandatory sessions prior to your program end date.
- You must attend a school-sponsored class or lab beginning prior to your program end date.
- You must attend school-sponsored registration, orientation or graduation in person before your program end date.
- You are a school-sponsored program participant in ROTC, student government, TV/newspaper, etc. and are required to attend mandatory sessions prior to your program end date.
I meet the eligibility guidelines. What do I do now?
To apply for a school-related early release, submit your request, attaching necessary documentation. The document must be on school letterhead from a faculty member or school administrator, and states your full name, pernr, and exact date that your classes and/or programs begin.
My paperwork is done, when can I leave?
We approve up to five travel days from your school start date, provided that your new departure date still falls within three weeks of your originally scheduled departure date.
If you have any questions regarding the school-related early release process, please contact us.
Approved Early Departures For International Program J1-Academic Participants
If your work area, domestic school, and the Disney Programs Office approve an early departure date, that new date will be considered your program end date, and the appropriate government agencies will be notified.
We recommend that all International Program participants retain copies of their I-94 card and proof of departure (such as your flight boarding pass) in case proof is needed in the future that you departed the United States in a timely manner.
J-1 Summer Work/Travel Program Cast Members are not eligible for early departure.
If you have any questions regarding the early departure process, please contact us.
Work-Approved Early Releases
To apply for a work-approved early release from your program, the following criteria must be met:
- The reason for leaving must be determined valid by your work area management.
- The labor manager must approve the early release.
- The new departure date must be within three weeks of the original end date.
- The early departure must not affect the operation adversely.
- You must depart Housing by 10 a.m. the day following your last day of work.
If all of the above criteria are met and an early program release from work can be granted, the Workforce Management office for your work location must send an email to: email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name
- Last day of work
Managers from Workforce Management and the work location should both be copied on this email. Once this information has been received, your request will be processed and a representative from the Disney Programs Office will be in touch with you. Please keep in mind that your requested departure date can be no more than three weeks prior to your original departure date. Any requests for greater than three weeks will be declined.